Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Family Life Lessons: 3- Contentment


I have noticed a behavioral peculiarity in my son Jude. If I put him in his play pen with a toy, he quickly becomes discontented. However, if I pick him up and sit him in my lap with the same toy, he gets a new-found interest in the toy and plays with it for a much longer time before getting restless. In times like these, he isn't looking to me for entertainment, for talking or singing. Just the fact that he is in my lap allows him the comfort and contentment to enjoy the little he has.

For those of you who are slow in realizing biblical truths through everyday life, let me spell this out.

When David wrote, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want." He did not mean that God will provide everything that you want, he meant that when you are in God's lap, you want little else.

If you are discontent, I submit to you that this has nothing to do with whether or not you have your hands full of stuff, but whether or not you are fully in God's hands.

1 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Bluecanary said...

You have given me a new way to see Psalm 23. Thank you. Very good insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home